Our season continues. Spring is finally upon us and the cancelled sessions before Christmas are but a memory. We have probably only 6 weeks left until the end of the Season. Let’s make them count.
First up, Connacht Blitz’s at under 10, 11, 12 were held recently around the province at Ballina, Athlone and Loughrea with the under 8/9 teams heading for Westport on April 2nd. All of our teams thus far have punched above their weight and have been a credit to the club and their parents both on and off the field. The under 11 team below, played and won their 4 matches against, Buccaneers, Ballina, Westport and Galwegians.
Barna Knocknacarra Under 11 at Connacht Blitz – Dubarry Park Athlone March12th 2016 Barna Knocknacarra Under 12 at Connacht Blitz – Loughrea March19th 2016
Our U10s made the long journey to Ballina to compete in the Connacht blitz on Saturday the 5th. They played four games against Buccaneers, Corinthians, Monivea and Castlebar winning 2 games comfortably, drawing 1 match and losing 1 tight game. A thoroughly enjoyable day out for all involved and a credit to Ballina Rugby club for organising a great event.
Our final outing of the season is also upon us. The 2016 Seapoint international rugby blitz on Sunday April 24th, which was such a success for the club last year. This year again will see teams at under 10, 11, and 12 from the Bairneachai travel to Dublin by bus to participate. Places are limited to 12 players at under 10 and 14 players at under 11 and 12 and are on a first come first serve basis , nearest age cut-off. Application form for the event is available by clicking HERE . We strongly suggest you complete the form and pay the monies for the bus and dinner asap.
Laws of Rugby (17.2d ) Joining a maul. Keeping players on their feet. Players in a maul must endeavour to stay on their feet. The ball carrier in a maul may go to ground providing the ball is available immediately and play continues. Sanction: Penalty kick Source World Rugby Laws
Famous rugby quotes
Jonah Lomu “Looking back, my whole life seems so surreal. I didn't just turn up on the doorstep playing rugby; I had to go through a whole lot of things to get there.”
Up-coming Connacht home games.
o Saturday 26th March Connacht v Leinster 17.15
o Saturday 16th April Connacht v Munster 19.15
o Saturday 7th May Connacht v Glasgow 15.00
- Barna Knocknacarra are proud to partner with Klubfunder.com for our upcoming 2016 RBS six nations draw. This will be our first ever online fundraiser. Entrance fee is €10, 50 cents will go to klubfunder, €4 will come back as prizes and the remaining €5.50 will come to BK rfc as funds raised. All we ask is that you cut/paste this paragraph from the newsletter into your email and send it to your rugby mad friends and family to invest €10 in your child’s club and have a bit of fun with the 6 nations.. Full rules of the competition are available when you register and you can register HERE by clicking join this league and entering your details. Registration closes on Feb 5th
You basically predict the outcome of every match in the 2016 six nations and you earn points based on those predictions. The person with the highest points at the end of the six nations wins. We will have prizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, places with 40% of all monies collected coming back as prizes. Please support this fundraiser...
- Our fortunes seem to be entwined with Connacht, Bk rfc cancel 4 training sessions in December/ January due to very poor weather and Connacht rugby lose 4 matches on the trot ! Lets hope the weather gods smile on us all going forward.
- Welcome back all players to what we hope will be an exciting second half to the season. Training has resumed every Saturday at 10.30 at Mc Graths field.
- First up, eleven players from our magnificent under 12’s travelled to Loughrea last Saturday and did us proud by beating a much stronger panel of 30 players, twice in one morning. Excellently drilled as always by Paul, Ray and Ger.
- This Saturday, 23rd we ALL travel to Headford to play Corrib Rfc in a blitz from u8 to u12. Departing Mc Graths field at 09.00 We should be back by 13.00 traffic permitting. Make sure your child has gum-shield, drink, and tie off their boots. Drivers and cars needed as always. We will have nearly 100 children travelling.
- Connacht branch organised a very worthwhile pitch side first aid course which was held on Sunday 17th Jan. Ten coaches from BK rfc attended and we spent the day being put through our paces by paramedics from the ambulance service and IRFU. All aspects of pitchside first aid were covered.
- 2016 RBS 6 nations members only draw for match tickets for the six nations were held in the Twelve in Barna just before Christmas.
The winners were as follows.
Wales Match - Herbert Schouten , Brian Harte , Sharon Connolly
Italy Match - Michelle Jennings , Paul Grout , Nancy Sosas
Scotland Match - Tony Mc Cormack , Eamon Dwyer , Ray Foley
- Our bag packing fundraiser was a tremendous success and thank you to all parents and players who supported this activity. The children as always were a credit to themselves and the club. We raised €1580, a tidy sum given the weather conditions on the day.
- Laws of Rugby
(20.12 b ) Offside for scrum-halves. When a team has won the ball in a scrum, the scrum half of that team is offside if both feet are in front of the ball while it is still in the scrum. If the scrum half has only one foot in front of the ball, the scrum half is not offside. Source World Rugby Laws
Famous rugby quotes
“Rugby is a good occasion for keeping 30 bullies far from the centre of the city” – Oscar Wilde
- Up-coming Connacht home games.
o Saturday Jan 23rd Connacht v Enesei 15.00
o Saturday Jan 30th Connacht v Scarlets 15.00
o Saturday 27th Feb – Connacht v Ospreys 19.35
- Barna Knocknacarra RFC will host our first blitz of the season this Saturday morning 17th 10.00 -12.30 at Dangan sports ground. Map here. We will be up against Corrib and Gort rugby clubs respectively. All our teams at u8, u9, u10, u11, u12 will participate. We expect to have over 200 children in total playing.
Our u7 squad will remain at Mc Graths field to hold the fort.
To make this event a success for the club, we would appreciate if parents could help with catering, specifically if you could bring a tray of sandwiches or buns or a cake of some description. Also if you could help with the distribution of same and the provision of teas and coffee to our guests it will help showcase the club and make the event a success.
Could you ensure that all children can attend in their full BKRC gear of Jersey, Shorts, Socks (think of the pictures) and please make sure your child has a gum shield and a drink?
The weather forecast is good but just in case of bad weather; please bring a change of clothing also.
- Registration continues and we are keen to close out this activity as soon as possible to ensure all players are insured for the season ahead. If your son has a friend interested in rugby, why not bring him along to ‘Try’ rugby for a while. It makes life so much better when friends bring friends and make new friends in rugby!
- Our under 11’s have been selected to play in the half time match at the Sportsground on the evening of Friday November 6th at 18.45 when Connacht play Treviso in the Guinness pro 12 league. More details of this event closer to the date. One for your diaries.
- There will be 2 further blitzes before Christmas. November 7th against Ballinasloe and Creggs, and the date and time for the 3rd blitz is yet to be confirmed. Drivers and transport needed for the trip to Ballinasloe.
- A major fundraiser for the club will be held in Dunnes Knocknacarra on Saturday December 5th from 10.00 – 18.00. We have been allocated a bag packing slot in the run up to Christmas. More details anon, one for your diaries for now.
- Famous rugby quotes
“I think you enjoy the game more if you don’t know the rules. Anyway, you’re on the same wavelength as the referees.” Jonathan Davies, A Question of Sport BBC TV (1995)
- Up-coming Connacht home games.
Friday Oct 16th 19.30 - Connacht v Zebre
Saturday Oct 31st 18.45 - Connacht v Edinburgh
Friday 6th November - Connacht v Treviso